The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. –LWV Mission
The League of Women Voters was formed in 1920 after the passage of the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote. In 1974, membership was opened to include men. There are Leagues in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and Hong Kong.
The League of Women Voters is strictly nonpartisan; it neither supports nor opposes candidates for office at any level of government. At the same time, the League is wholeheartedly political and works to influence policy through advocacy. It is the original grassroots citizen network, directed by the consensus of its members nationwide.
League of Women Voters Sioux City Activities
LWVSC meetings will include a candidate forum for State Legislators and County Officials. In January, we will host a Candidate Training for women and men who are interested in running for public office. We continue to attend quarterly Naturalization Ceremonies, distribute/collect completed voter registration forms, and share voter information with our newest citizens. In the fall we conduct Voter Registration Drives in September and October. We will also continue our January – March public forums with SIMPCO, where local state legislators address the public’s concerns. These forums will be held on the 4th Saturday Jan.-March at the Sioux City Historical Museum located at 607 4th St.
League of Women Voters of Sioux City
Local Program/Adopted Position Statements
- Advocate public disclosure and broad input into the Sioux City Community School District’s fiscal policies, curriculum planning, boundaries/attendance areas, and the construction and repair of buildings.
- Support the expansion of US Highway 20 to four lanes throughout Iowa, thereby facilitating economic growth in western Iowa.
- Support the ongoing operation and expansion of recycling efforts in the Siouxland area.
- Support efforts to encourage citizen and local government participation in proper waste disposal.
- Support the Council-Manager form of government in Sioux City.
2014-2015 LWVSC Elected Board Members
Co-Presidents: Jacquie Lightcap & Theresa Weaver-Basye
Secretary: Donna Wooldridge
Treasurer: Bonnie Wiltse
Jeanne Bockholt Carolyn Goodwin
Pat Hammerstrom Eileen Helvig
Elaine Seubert Renee Weinberg